Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Day of Communion

We have been trying out a new church for the past two weeks. We've not been attending church services for quite some time now. I guess we let DH's work and study schedule, my busyness with Osh Osh and certain personal issues, mainly anger, disappointment and rejection, get in the way of us attending church.

However, God didn't let us "off the hook" so easily. He's been prompting both DH and myself to resume church attendance. We have known of this church for quite a while now as it's near Osh Osh's school and much closer to home than our old church. So far, DH seems to enjoy the services. He finds the worship music there just right...not too loud and not too fast - yes, DH is one of the more conservative worshippers. The sermons that we've heard so far have been sincerely delivered and well thought out.

Osh Osh has been very well behaved in church. He played with his Transformer toys quietly and he patiently does his colouring while the pastor speaks. I carry him when we sing the hymns. He will ask questions about Jesus ("Why did Jesus cry?") and he recognized Amazing Grace (as we used to sing that to him before his bedtime when he was less than a year old).

Today, we had Holy Communion. Osh Osh was getting impatient and kept asking to go to the Fellowship Hall to eat 2 square biscuits (part of refreshments that the church provides with the free coffee and punch). I told him that Mummy and Daddy needs to go to the front to eat bread and drink wine first. He didn't quite understand but I promised him that he will get his square biscuits if he behaved himself.

He obliged and I carried him with me to the front of the church for the communion. He clung tight to me and gave me a big hug. At that particular moment, my heart was filled with so much love for him. I can't quite describe it in words but it just felt special...a special feeling and bond that both he and I shared as mother and son.




When I knelt down to receive the communion with Osh Osh standing beside me, I was pleasantly surprised that the pastor also gave Osh Osh his share of the bread and wine (i.e. round wafer and a small cup of Ribena). Osh Osh partaked in the communion by slowly eating his wafer and finishing his Ribena. I was so moved and he looked at me and said, "Can I have square biscuits now?". I had to stop myself from laughing.

Osh Osh was already baptized but he has never been involved in adult communion before. I'm very proud of him for being quiet and respectful when he was in front witn me. It was definitely a very memorable impactful moment for me and I'm sure for DH as well.
Today we had another type of communion at home. A closer fellowship in front of the tv! ;) DH has reserved the Wall-E DVD from the local video shop last week because it's a hot favourite now. Both DH and I have not watched it but Osh Osh had seen excerpts of it at school. So, Osh Osh was actually narrating the story to us for the first half hour. He knew when there would be "the fire" (from the spaceship landing) and when Wall-E's cockroach friend would make an appearance).
We had lunch while watching the DVD. It was a simple afternoon but a good family time together. I know people say that you shouldn't watch tv and have a meal at the same time. However, in this instance, we talked to each other while watching Wall-E, answering Osh Osh's questions, explaining some of the scenes to Osh Osh and laughed at the funny scenes. Overall, it was just a very relaxed, fun afternoon.
I think DH enjoyed Wall-E too although it wouldn't have crossed my mind that this would be the type of movie he'd enjoy. Who would have thought that a simple story about an innocent lonely robot wanting to find another robot just to hold its hand is so touching? I guess it drives home the fundamental fact that none of us, be it flesh and blood or wires and metal, wants to be alone. Life is much easier to handle when you reach out your hand and find another hand grasping it in return.

No comments: