Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Year of the Ox

It's that time of the year again...Happy Chinese New Year to everyone who celebrates it! The zodiac animal for this Chinese New Year is the Year of the Ox - my year. The Ox is known for its hard working nature and its resilience towards hardship - sounds apt for the current times. Although I don't really subscribe to the Chinese horoscope, I've read (and have been informed by friends and colleagues) that this year is a tough year for the Ox. No surprises there. Given how 2008 ended for all of us and for me personally, it doesn't seem like the hardships will let up this year.


We have spent a week at my parents' home. It's good to take time off from work but work doesn't seem to want to take any time off from me. I got a call from a colleague at work on Wednesday to tend to an urgent matter. I don't have any internet connection at my parents' place but I brought my work laptop with me. So, we headed to the nearest hotel and used their wireless internet facility at its lobby, by paying a small fee, of course. DH came with me and as he has his books with him, he studied while I worked. We have been doing this for 3 days out of the week that we've been here. In a way, working while I'm on leave has its benefits. When we return home tomorrow, I have the peace of mind that I have cleared all pending work.
Still, it doesn't feel that I've rested much. Osh Osh had a cough before we left and he's still having a bad cough now. His sleep is interrupted at nights which affects all of us as well. I've not been feeling all that well either. DH and I also had a bad argument during the second night of our stay here. Overall, it seems like what I experienced in 2008 is repeating itself - it's like a bad rut I can't seem to get out off.

I guess all of us do take a few steps back after we have made some progress. I know I shouldn't be so hard on myself. DH reminded me 2 days ago that we have real blessings in life to be grateful for. He told me that despite everything, we still have each other and we have Osh Osh. We shouldn't lose sight of that.

On a lighter note, if I do indeed have the characteristics of the Ox, I should be able to withstand whatever challenges this year throws at me since the Ox is a practical work animal which is stable and dependable. It is also quite a simplistic animal in that it is happy just to be able to graze green grass in wide open spaces.

I just hope that when we return home and hit the ground running with our daily routines and busyness, there will be moments where we can "graze in the green pastures" to regain our strength to face what lies ahead.

No comments: