Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Scrunchie - a Fashion No No?

This morning was rather chaotic. Osh Osh woke up grumpy and didn't want to go to his school. It was so hard trying to get him dressed and we were pressed for time as DH needed to get to work earlier than usual (he always needs to get in early but today it's got to be exceptionally early!) to give a presentation to his colleagues.

Osh Osh kept saying, "I don't like you, Mummy!" and sulked. I gave up and asked DH to get him dressed instead. Then as I wanted to tie my hair, my favourite hair clip broke! Boo Hoo Hoo! I know it's not a major crisis but I guess at that particular moment, I just felt the whole world was falling apart and against me! Women, eh?

Anyway, I looked around in the drawer and found an old scrunchie. Decided to use it as I have to tie my hair as today's a bad hair day for me with my hair having a mind of its own and going in all different directions!

In the car on the way to Osh Osh's school, I started thinking about a particular Sex and The City episode on scrunchies. Carrie (Sarah Jessica Parker's character) was telling her boyfriend then that no fashionable New York woman would be caught dead in public using a scrunchie! They both eventually had a long argument on whether that's true or not. Their relationship eventually failed with this guy dumping her...nope, it's not because of the scrunchie but some underlying insecurities of both parties. Made me smile as 1) some of my colleagues at work are quite judgmental of what I wear and I tend to dress without too much fuss (if you know what I mean!) so they will probably make some comments on my scrunchie (which is a conservative brown and not some flashy pink!) and 2) I'm amazed that I can still remember that SATC episode so well! However, the name of Carrie's beau escapes me but it wasn't Mr. Big in that episode.

I did a search on Google and came up with this funny article on Scrunchie...hope you guys enjoy reading it.

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip8000.htm

I really have to get back to work now, but yes, today I am wearing a scrunchie and proud of it too!

1 comment:

Louisa May said...

i know exactly which sex and the city episode you are referring to !!! So love the series. The movie was really good too ! Hope you managed to catch it !