Thursday, November 6, 2008

Perception

Perception :

1. the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses.

2 the process of perceiving.

3 a way of understanding or interpreting something.

4 intuitive understanding and insight.

I extracted the above defintion from the Oxford Dictionary.


Why am I emphasizing this word? Due to a series of communications and meetings at work, I've been perceived in a way that has been negative and possibly detrimental to my appraisal at the year end.

The upper management has taken the view that I am not keen or proactive enough when it comes to my work. They feel that I should be carving out my personal time at home to make calls to my counterparts in other time zones in order to expedite matters.

That is their perception.

I believe I work hard. I put in the extra hours. I'm efficient and I act quickly, promptly and decisively.

However, I've not been one to promote myself in public. I'm one of those who do the work quietly and resolve matters on my own without making a big fuss of things.

So, what do I do now? I've been feeling low and demoralized by these comments and feedback as I have been working so hard for the past few months, fire fighting issues for the company in relation to what's been happening in the world economy. Colleagues have suggested that I have a face to face session with my manager and inform her that I don't think her perceptions and those of her superiors are right.

I'd better start thinking about writing a fabulous advertorial to start "selling" me the right way??

No comments: